Saturday, June 19, 2021

My Friend Katie, the Miracle!

  


While I was growing up I had a very special mentor and role model in my life. Her name is Katie, and she became so important to me :) I already have a pretty awesome mom, but she became like a SECOND mom to me. I don't know if it's enough to just call her "friend." :) I grew up Methodist and we have a confirmation at age 13. She was the one who was assigned to me to teach me things and guide me and make sure I was ready. Over the years when I was a teen I'd go on road trips with her, youth trips, and spend evenings at her and her late husband's lake house. I was so shy and awkward growing up, and felt sort of scared and homesick when I went away on youth trips. When we went on a big trip one year and headed into the auditorium for our worship sessions, I'd hightail it down to the front and stand right beside her. She always made me feel safe, and like I could be myself. She would let me just sit in silence while we rode in the car, but eventually I got comfortable with her and talked her head off :) 


As I became an adult, I didn't see her as much, because I became busy with kids and family. But we still would talk all the time on social media, I'd send her Christmas cards, and we'd occasionally have lunches. Arnold and I were at her wedding when she married her second husband, Steve. She held my hand and gave me encouragement right before I went into surgery to have my gallbladder out. She showed up at my 80s themed birthday party when I turned 30. Our kids would go to her and mom's church when they were young, and got to know her as well. She even started hanging out with my mom and some other church ladies a lot. No, I wasn't jealous ;) Needless to say, she's always been a person I wanted involved in my life. 


Earlier this year I heard that Katie had unfortunately gotten covid. It was a bad case, and she had been admitted to the hospital. Mom is in a text group with her and several of their friends, so she'd keep me informed every day of what was going on. Arnold, the kids and I prayed for her every night. It seemed like she'd be ok eventually, but might have a long stay. But one day things really seemed to take a turn for the worse. She had to be put on a ventilator. She wasn't showing any signs of real improvement. Her kids flew into town to see her. The doctors were telling everyone when they took the ventilator out the next day that she likely wouldn't make it. I remember when I heard that news I was out to lunch with Arnold and just broke down. I cried all the way home. I was honestly thinking I'd never get to talk to her again. Never see her encouraging comments to me on facebook. Not get to invite her this summer to my birthday party. Things just seemed so unfair and hurt so much.


Then before we knew it, we witnessed a miracle right before our eyes. The doctors couldn't believe it, but Katie was actually hanging in there, and able to survive without the ventilator! Arnold, the kids and I kept praying even harder for her to recover. And after a while, they actually said that she would most likely be ok! That was the highlight of my whole year, to hear those words. The doctors had not been optimistic, but the prayers worked, and GOD is so much greater than any illness, and can choose to heal someone. God is still in the miracle-making business! I am so thankful he saved our Katie, because I don't know what I would do without her! 


Katie had to stay in the hospital for awhile longer, and do lots of therapy, because she hadn't walked or spoken in the longest time. On the day she came home, several of her friends, family and neighbors gathered outside her house and held up banners, balloons, and signs. We had her a surprise homecoming parade! Seeing her husband pull into their driveway made me very emotional. I was just so relieved to see her. A few weeks later, I actually got to go over to her house with mom and visit! Except for the oxygen she is on, you never would have believed she had been through all that! She was dressed in a cute outfit, looking beautiful, walking around, and talking and laughing just like the old times. I was so happy to finally hug her! :)


If this taught me anything, it is that you can't take people and time for granted. You never know how much time each person has on this earth. I just sort of assume people will always be around, and always be there for me. When we got close to losing Katie, I remembered that every day is precious, and you need to let others know how much you care about them and love them. I am back to seeing regular facebook comments on my pictures and posts from Katie. I even got to invite her to my birthday party that's coming up in a week :) I am in awe still of what God did. So, so thankful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment