Thursday, December 29, 2022

Christmas 2022!

 This was our family Christmas card this year. I went with a new company, because I had a Groupon. I ordered 40 cards and it was just the right amount. I hate how hardly anyone sends out cards anymore.. I love sending and getting mail!!! Oh well. I love how colorful the cards were and I used a pic from our beach trip in August :) 





We went to sooo many parades to watch Brooke and Caleb this year! But it was a lot of fun! Caleb was actually in FIVE.. that's insane. We had to get him better socks because he was getting blisters from marching so much in those stiff dress shoes. Can't wait until next year when Rachel will be in the marching band and we can watch her in the parades, too! 



Rachel had her 8th grade winter band concert! They did a really great job! We had heard her practicing her trumpet at home many nights and I had Christmas songs constantly stuck in my head, haha. I somehow convinced her to wear a necklace with her outfit that night, and she wore the Santa hat on her own! 




Brooke and I did some last minute Christmas shopping together! I think she is loving having a job and having her own money to spend. She picked out her boyfriend a gift while we were out. She also helped me pick out some things for Rachel. 



The night we went to see the Christmas lights like we do every year we came home and got into our cozy pjs! No we didn't match this year, but oh well. Rachels pjs came from the mall when she went on her Washington DC trip. My pj set actually came from Walmart! They are so soft and cute for the price! 



I love collecting ornaments and end up getting so many new ones every year, to commemorate occasions or just because cute ones were on clearance at the end of the season (haha) This year a lot of the ornaments had to do with dad. I got the ones I saw that had to do with heaven. Then I got a cardinal because of the saying that when you see one after a loved one dies it means a "God wink" or that everything ok. We dedicated a special spot on the tree this year to dad. We added the duck because he used to hunt and had duck statues in his office, and a stack of books because he loved to read. My friend Rosie surprised me with a sweet memorial ornament that I added to the tree later. 




Our girls Christmas gathering was a little different than normal this year-- because we stayed in... but it was all good because this year we had baby ENSLEY to hang out with! She is an honorary member of our group now ;) We hung out at Joannes, ate snack foods, and watched Bad Moms Christmas movie. We somehow ended up the night watching old rap videos on YouTube..... it was a strange night but so much fun! And jess finally got her Ensley snuggles! 




On Christmas Eve we had lunch with Arnold's parents like always. Arnold got a ham at work for Christmas so we heated it up and took it over. Arnold's sister didn't get to join us this year because she was sick. We ate and then opened presents and hung out awhile. It was COLD this year! 



We actually managed a nice family pic! And Arnold didn't have to set up the tripod and timer because his dad took the picture for us.. ha. 




That evening we went to moms church (my childhood church) for the Christmas Eve candlelight service. Mom was going to go with us, but it was just too cold for her to go out. We sat right near where I used to sit with mom, dad and Alex when I was a little girl. I would always sit beside dad and sing the Christmas hymns. It was a beautiful service and I started crying towards the end. 



I always love it when they light the candles and start singing Silent Night 



We stopped outside after the service very quickly (It was FREEZING!) and said hi and merry Christmas to dad. man, I miss him SO much! Christmas was not the same at all this year. And side note-- why does my son look like a grown MAN in this picture??!!! He got the army beanie from his grandparents :) 



Christmas morning we all slept in.. ahh the joys of having teens :) We surprised Caleb with the new Xbox this year(the digital version) He had been wanting it so badly! Unfortunately there are a few things I don't like... like it doesn't have as much storage as I thought and it overheats too quickly.. but I guess we'll get that figured out. 




Rachel didn't want a "big gift" this year so we got her clothes, art supplies and some gift cards for her games on her phone. 




I love the look on Brooke's face.. haha. These were some white boots she had been wanting. They make her SO tall. And they aren't really my style but she loves them. Some trends from a long time ago are making a serious comeback! 




What she really wanted this year was a vanity. Arnold set it up in the basement to hide it from her and we showed he as the last gift. Now she can get ready in peace in the morning and maybe she, Rachel and I won't fight over the bathroom as much! 




Christmas afternoon we went over to moms house to visit and give her gifts. My Grandpa was over visiting, too. He is turning 91 in March. We are so blessed to still have him around- I am so happy my kids have a great grandpa! 



One of the things we got mom was a photo calendar. It included a lot of pictures of the things we did this past year-- trips to the mens, picnics, the beach trip, etc and hopefully it brings her a smile every time she looks at it :) 

Christmas was different this year for sure... we could feel dad missing. But we still had a good time. Mom sat in dad's chair while we are on Christmas Eve. We remembered stories of him in the past and clung to those memories. The day after Christmas my brother and his family came into town for a few days and stayed with mom, and I know she loved that! She's only gotten to see her newest grand baby a few times so far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment