Wednesday, August 24, 2022

My Speech for Dad and Letter


 

My Part of Dad's Eulogy


How do you measure the life of a man? 

Its not by how much money he had or how many degrees he earned.

Its not by how big his house was or how many places he traveled.

It's the little things he did, that showed his true character. 

The times I watched him give generously to those in need.

The times spent drilling me on the multiplication tables even though I know he was beyond frustrated.

The way he saved half of his food to take home in a box to his buddy willow.

I know how much he meant to me, but I never truly realized how many lives he actually impacted until people came out in droves to tell me stories of his leadership and friendship.

I don't want to live the rest of my life without a daddy. It breaks my heart into a million pieces. I wanted him here to see my successes, to joke around with, and to teach my kids how to drive... just like he did with me

But i have comfort in knowing he will never be in pain or struggle again. He is at peace with God and I know I will see him again one day.

Its going to be a long road ahead and I know many days will be painful. But when I go on a drive to the mountains..... or see a football game on tv.... or hear a corny dad joke..... I'll smile... and remember him.

I love you dad. 






Dear Dad,

     Can't believe its coming up on half a year since you left us. Some mornings I still wake up and for a split second think you're still around. I've had a few dreams about you. In the dreams everything seems like old times, its usually a younger version of you, before you were in pain. 


We just got back from the beach trip you planned for all of us last year. You would have really enjoyed it. I actually got in the ocean and swam some.. I kept getting knocked down by the waves. I could imagine you sitting up on the deck laughing at me. You always did love to pick on me. The sunsets were gorgeous. Every little thing there reminded me of you. It seemed so unfair you weren't right there beside us. But we had an amazing time and thank you for the experience. 


We are trying our best to be there for mom. We got and visit her every Sunday and have lunch, sometimes we go to her church too. Every time I pass by the wall where your ashes are, I wave. I know it's silly, but it makes me feel better. We try to include mom in lots of things we do, I don't want her ever getting lonely. She really misses you. It's hard for us to sit in the living room now, where your big recliner and tv sit. The tv hasn't been on in months. I'm used to walking into the house and hearing sports games or Fox News.. but lately it's just eerily quiet. 


There are so many exciting things coming up soon. Brooke's sweet 16 is this weekend. She is driving now and hoping to get her license in November. We all thought you'd be one of the people giving her lessons. I still remember you teaching me to drive in the church parking lot. Don't worry, she does a lot better than I did ;) The kids are starting back to school soon.. they have all gotten so grown up in just the short time you've been gone. You'd be proud of all of them. We love to tell stories of you and laugh at memories. We miss your "crap in a pot" nights in the summer and hanging out on the deck while you cook and smoke a cigar. Caleb took home some of your books and read them. Turns out one of them was his favorite of the year. You would have loved that :) It was hard seeing books be delivered to the house even after you were gone. It seems cruel that the world just keeps spinning like nothing happened when a loved one dies. 


Anyway, we are all doing ok. We're gearing up for a first birthday without you, then the holidays. I know it's going to be so emotional for everyone. We will get through it though. I think all of this has brought our family even closer. We miss you, but we know we will see you again one day, and that's the greatest assurance there is :)


No comments:

Post a Comment