Monday, November 18, 2013

Working Girl!

 
 
Sooo, I have not blogged in a long time! There is a reason, I have been super busy! I got a job at Target. A few months ago Rachel went to school.. and so all 3 kids are in school now, all day. I thought about getting a job somewhere part time, and put in applications at a few places. A few days later I had an email from Target, saying to come in for an interview. So I went in that day, and I knew it was going well, because I ended up talking to 3 different people. And finally, an hour later, they told me I had the job!
 
Technically, it is a seasonal job, and they watch their new employees for 3 months, and if they do a good job after that, they get hired on from then on. I heard as long as you are on time, don't call out, have good speed at the register, get people to open red cards, and do well on Black Friday, you will stay on. SO here's hoping!
 
It has gone really well so far. I went in for a 4-hour orientation the first day and we went over paperwork, watched movies, went on a tour (which of course I didn't need since I am there ALL the time anyway!) and stuff like that. They went over dress codes and we got our name tags which on mine it said ABIGAIL.. which is my first name but I never go by that! But they were sweet enough to fix it for me, and now it says "Abby." Much better ;)
 
I have worked 2 weeks so far and am on the register. When I interviewed I said I was willing to do sales floor, cashier, stocking, or whatever. I had prayed about it working out how it was supposed to! I am glad I got the cashier job because the stocking job has people coming in around 4 in the morning and I don't think I could have handled that! I have had lots of people help me learn the register, and it is going well. The screen tells you how many sales you have had and your speed. You need to be at 88 percent or higher and I am around 85 percent so I am getting there! The weekends are crazy busy.. one saturday night I had 143 sales total. But at least the time goes by quickly and I don't ever get bored! And everyone I've met so far is so nice! They are easy to talk to and I am making friends there already, I think! :)
 
 
So here are a few of the awesome things about this new job:
 
 
*They worked with me on hours, and never schedule me at the times I have to pick up the kids after school. AND they let me off on Thurs nights so I can keep working at the Pregnancy Care Center.
 
*They are pretty laid back. They let you have water bottles at the register, chew gum, keep your cellphone with you, etc.
 
*They give you free refills on drinks if you buy one while working, at the cafe!
 
* You get a discount! Which you can use on top of Cartwheel and coupons! So I have got some crazy good deals already. And am starting to buy most of my grocery items there, too.
 
*You can cross-train and work in other departments, if you want to. If you think you don't like where you are at, or get bored staying in one place all the tme.
 
*I got my first red card opened! Someone opened one on Saturday while I was working.
 
*They are going to have a nice meal catered in for those working on Black Friday. Something to look forward to on that crazy day, I guess, ha!
 
*My paychecks fall on the weeks Arnold DOESN'T get paid (we both get paid every other week) so that will help us out if things get tight!
 
*They will let spouses/kids use your employee discout also!!
 
*When people come through the line I see all sorts of new items and yummy foods to try. One night after work I left with some monster high footie pjs for Brooke and some white fudge oreos, just because I had seen them earlier that evening ;)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And a few "not so good" things. But I can live with them, I am thankful for the job!
 
*The weekends are VERY busy. Constantly have people coming through.
 
*They are strict about how fast you are on the register, and they time you.
 
*It is HARD to get people to open red cards! They either have one already or aren't interested.
 
*I have to work Black Friday, and it is an overnight shift! I heard it is going to be insane!
 
*I have to wear red and khaki all the time, which gets boring ;)
 
*While working I see tons of cute things I want to buy... which isn't good when I'm trying to SAVE my paycheck for more important things ;)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So there is your update on my new job ;) I know you were just dying to hear all that, ha! And for all my local people, come visit me anytime! ;)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And here I am ready to go to work one night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment