Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Story of Us



1. How long have you and your significant other been together? Arnold and I met in September of 2005 and started officially "dating" in Oct of 2005. So that makes it a little over 6 years that we have been together.



2. How did you meet? {What’s your “love” story?} We met in a very, very geeky way. On yahoo personals. (no im not kidding) Arnold was on there to meet some new girls since he said he had always hung out with the same group of people since high school and wanted to branch out some (plus he is really shy) I had just gone through a break up and signed up for fun. I was so surprised when he contacted me. Much against my parents' wishes (they were afraid it was unsafe) we decided to go on a date. But now they absolutely love him, so it worked out ok ;)


3. If married, how long have you been married? A little over 6 years. Just celebrated our anniversary in January :)


4. If you are married, where did you get married? Big or small wedding? We were married at the Methodist Church I grew up in. We had a reception right after. It was a small wedding with just family and some close friends but I really loved it. Everything was so beautiful and I had the dress I loved, the flowers I wanted, and it was a lot like I had envisioned it being. Would have had it bigger If we had had more time to plan.


5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share! He calls me Abbs like mostly everyone else i know well does. Occasionally he calls me "Sweet tart" (no idea why) and it used to really bug me but it has grown on me ;) I call him honey most of the time. No "embarassing" nicknames that I can think of ;)


6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey. 1- He is very hard-working. He works hard and sometimes long hours so that I can stay at home with our kids and he makes sure we always have what we need. 2- He is respectful. I've never felt like he was condescending or authoratative with me like I know sadly happens to a lot of women. He always asks my opinions on things. And he is honest with me. 3- He is helpful. He doesn't mind helping bathing the kids and getting them ready for bed at night. He does all the mowing and yardwork. He drops the big kids off at school on the way into work which makes it WAY easier on me.


7. Tell us how he proposed? To be honest it wasnt a big thing. We always joke about this. I tell him I really wanted a proposal that was worth of a story telling people one day. But anyway-- he had a stuffed bear with a little pocket and had stuck the ring in there. That part wasnt too bad but he did it in his kitchen (we weren't living together) and on a Thursday. I told him he could have been more romantic about it. But I still love him ;)


8. Is he a flowers or chocolate kind of guy for Vday? He is not that predictable. Some years we dont do anything at all for holidays. Some years we do unconventional gifts. And some years we do a THING instead of a gift (trip, date, etc) This year he did get me flowers though, and that was a surprise :)


9. Are you a fancy-dinner-out kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch? It all depends on my mood. I appreciate both. I like to dress up occasionally and go to a nice place with Arnold. BUt that hardly ever happens anymore since kids. Its much easier now to put them to bed, rent a movie, and order in :)


10. Tell us one thing you’d like to do with your significant other one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere? I have a dream for us to go on a romantic getaway to Italy. He says he'd like to just start driving and go until we run out of gas. He is more of a "roadtrip" kind of guy.


11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine’s Day. Since it is on a Tues this year we already celebrated. Last weekend we went out to dinner with friends on Fri night at Olive Garden and then Sat night went to a Valentine Dinner at a friend's church. Tonight we are ordering a heart-shaped pizza for the kids and staying in. We also gave them little treats this morning before school (its more about them now ;) Arnold sent me flowers yesterday and we exchanged cards. I am waiting on the gift I ordered him to get here-- it says it wont be here until thursday. guess I should have planned that out better!


12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine’s day? I didnt ask for anything. I dont really EXPECT anything. The flowers were a nice surprise though. Its nice to be thought of.


13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love. Communicate with each other. Don't just assume the other can read your mind. You have to let them know what you are thinking and feeling. Also, make time for each other. Even if your days are busy and crazy with kids now, you still need to invest in your relationship. One day the kids will be gone and you may find you dont even know each other anymore. You dont want that to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment