Monday, September 24, 2012

Weekend in Review!

Friday morning my mom came over and Rachel and I went with her to school to have lunch with Brooke. Poor Brooke has lunch at 10:20, and that is way too early in my opinion! They were extra good this week and their teacher let them eat lunch in the classroom and watch tv while they ate, so we sat back there in the little chairs with her. We got to talk to some of her friends, and my Mom got to see her classroom and meet her teacher. While we were there, Brooke's teacher went ahead and showed me her spelling test. That morning the kids had had their very first test ever. We had been studying the words all week and I knew Brooke was good. But the teacher gave me the paper and it was a B! She deducted points for sloppy handwriting, and Brooke had written a lot of her a's really poorly. I was really bummed out, because Brooke had gotten ALL the words spelled correctly, and thought she had done great. Which B is still good, but not what I was expecting! So we had to explain to Brooke later what had happened. I am surprised her teacher was so strict on that test, she seems pretty laid-back. But I am still proud of Brooke for doing so well! Who knew as a mom spelling test days would become such a big deal, huh? :)
Friday evening we dropped Brooke off at the church where she has her girlscout meetings. They were headed to camp for the weekend. Brooke went last year, but only for one night. This year she was staying the full two nights. She said she was a little nervous earlier in the week, but by the time we got there she seemed excited. We made sure to pack her "Sally" doll she sleeps with every night, so she was good ;) I am always less nervous when she goes on trips with scouts because my sister-in-law is the troop leader. So that really puts me at ease! Anyway, after we dropped her off we took the little kids down the road to get some dinner at Wendy's before we went back home. That night Caleb got to play some video games before bed, all without fighting Brooke for the remote, I know he loved that, ha. I ended up going to be REALLY early that night... I am still shocked at how tired I get some nights... It used to be lame to go to bed so early but since being a mom I am always ready for sleep! ;)
Saturday morning we got the little kids ready and went down the road to a festival our town was having. They have it every year to celebrate the town, it's called a "Heritage Festival." We actually ran into the kids' grandparents there, so they were happy about that. They were giving out a lot of free stuff at some of the booths we went by, and the kids got some toys, stickers, water bottles, popcorn, and all sorts of things. We went by to see the Fire Truck, and both the kids got to sit in it so I could take pictures. A lady gave them both balloons.. and 5 minutes later Caleb's was seen floating up in the air.. ha. The lady ran back over and gave him a replacement balloon right away.. guess it helps to be a little cutie ;) We walked around the rest of the festival, and then got in line for the hay ride. The kids sat together on one side, and Arnold and I sat together across from them. And this guy in a tractor took us on a ride around town. The kids LOVED that.. so much fun for no cost.. gotta love it ;) And before we left the festival we had to get sno-cones of course... CHERRY ones.. yum! :)
That afternoon I headed to the mall with my friend Jess. One of my friends that works at Dillards in the mall had told me about a promotional thing they were doing, and they were making appointments for facials and makeovers. So I signed myself up and got to take a friend... hence why Jess went with me ;) She took us into this back room that I had no idea was even there! They had it set up really nice with flowers, candles, and all sorts of stuff. Then they let us lay back on vibrating beds and rest for awhile.. it was strange but I was loving it! It was a mini-spa day! Then she cleaned our faces and tried all sorts of products out on our faces. It felt so great, by the end my face was tingling (in a good way!) and my skin felt so smooth. I swear I almost fell asleep on that bed! Ha! Then we sat in a chair and she did our makeup. I usually don't wear a lot of makeup, so I was a little shocked at how it looked, but it looked really pretty. She even put stuff on my lips (which I NEVER wear anything on my lips) and I loved it. jess and I took lots of pictures of course, and we had a great time. It was fun to slip away for some girl time, and not have to deal with any kids or problems for awhile!!
That afternoon after I got home, I ended up falling asleep and taking a long nap. Thank goodness for Arnold never working weekends and being able to help out with the kids! I didn't know I was so exhausted this weekend! That evening after dinner and we had put the kids to bed, Arnold and I watched a movie I had rented.. "The 5-Year Engagement." I was expecting it to be a lot better.. and especially a lot more funny. Arnold complained alot during it. It was ok, but seemed like it dragged on. It's one I wouldn't watch again. Since I had taken a nap that afternoon, I wasn't very tired, so I stayed up on the computer. Then "Austin City Limits" came on tv (which I am NEVER up for) and Coldplay was on that night! Yay! I love me some Coldplay, so I listened to that for awhile. Around midnight I was laying in bed reading, and the power suddenly went out. Everything was PITCH black dark, and silent, it was creepy. Arnold had been in the basement playing guitar, so he had to stuble around in the dark to find his way back upstairs. We used our cellphone for a little bit of light, so we could find some candles to light. We finally went to sleep anyway, and an hour later the lights all came back on and startled the crap out of me. It turns out they were working on the power on our whole street that evening. If I was asleep it wouldn't have bothered me, but since I was still awake it was a pain! Oh well!
Sunday morning we didn't go to church, because we were waiting for a call that the scouts were back home, and to come pick up Brooke. We hung out around the house and watched old episodes of "The Office" on Netflix. I miss the days when Michael Scott was on there! That was seriously one of my favorite shows back in the day. But now it is just not the same! Anyway, we got a call around 11 that the girls were back, so we went to pick up Brooke. It turned out the girls had all given Jenn a hard time about taking showers that weekend, so she let it slide. Brooke was caked with dirt and looked horrible! Her hair was spray painted green and pink, too! But it was camping.. what can you say?? She had a great time, she told me all about them making smores, sliding down the cascades, and getting notes from "fairies" (older girlscouts-- it was so cute!) As the day went on I also realized that she must have not gotten much sleep that weekend, because she was VERY cranky. But I remember those days from when I was a girl scout, it can make for some great memories! And I am glad they had fun! :)

Rachel in the firetruck on Saturday

Daddy and Caleb at the Festival

 Rachel enjoying her cherry sno-cone!

Caleb and Rachel held hands during the hay ride! How sweet!!!!

Hanging out on the vibrating bed on Sat. afternoon during our "spa" time!

Jess and I after our makeovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment