Monday, August 20, 2012

Weekend in Review



Friday evening I wanted to do something special for the hubby, as a surprise. Since we haven't had a date in awhile (and yet really, REALLY need one!) I created an in-home date for us that night after the kids had gone to bed. I went out and rented "The Hangover II" (yes we are way behind on movies these days) and bought popcorn, soda, sour worms, and Reese's Pieces as "movie snacks." Then I turned the lights off in the living room, lit a candle, and had Arnold come in. He seemed to really like my idea. It was nice to sit back and watch a movie together with no other worries. And by the way, that movie has some CRAZY, crude scenes, I wasn't expecting it to be quite that bad. But it was pretty hilarious :)

Saturday morning Arnold borrowed his dad's truck and hauled off some stuff from our carport and backyard to the dump. We had needed to get that done for the longest time. We have had random stuff around there forever, like broken kids' toys, a really old highchair and stroller, a broken-apart old crib (it was the drop-side kind!) and some other things. After 3 loads it finally looked alot better. I am sure our neighbors are glad we aren't quite so tacky anymore ;) Arnold also mowed the yard and did some work with the weedeater, while I took the kids outside to play. I went to the mailbox that day and had 4 new magazines waiting on me, score! (Parenting Early Years, Parenting School Years, Self, and Ladies Home Journal) I am a big bookworm and I read mostly anything I can get my hands on, including magazines.. so needless to say I have a lot of subscriptions!

That evening I went over to my best friend Joanne's house for a girls' movie night. Jackie also came over.. Erika wasn't able to make it because of a family thing she had. Together the 4 of us make up the "Fab 4" (that's what we call each other anyway!) And we try to get together often and do things like that. Jackie brought over "The Hunger Games" for us to watch. I had never gotten to see it in the theater but read all the books, so I was SO ready to see it! Joanne had made some cupcakes that she found on Pinterest, for us to snack on. They were blue icing for the "sky", little puffs of white for the "clouds" and sour straw candy for the "rainbows." They were really cute and I ate two of them! (shhhh!) Joanne was frustrated she couldn't get her rainbows to "stand up" the way they were supposed to, but I still loved them ;) We started the movie and of course we had our own running commentary going throughout.. you know girls.. they just can't shut up for anything ;) Joanne and Jackie had already seen the movie once, so they knew what to expect, but I didn't... so that was interesting! Halfway throughout the movie, Jackie's son brought out a HUGE stuffed Squidward (from Spongebob!) to sit and "protect" Jackie, haha! (him and Joanne's kids were playing in their playroom at the back of the house) I ended up with Squidward because I was pretty jumpy at some parts. I have a weak stomach and was afraid I wouldn't handle the movie well, but It actually wasn't as bad as I had expected. I really, really liked it. And oh gosh, was Gale hot?! And Peeta wasn't too bad, either. I am totally Team Peeta ;) I loved seeing the book on the big screen, but as always... the Book is ALWAYS better!!!!! I love that we got to visit the District 12 Site too (it was filmed in the very town I live in.. isn't that cool?!) I have been inside Katniss' house! And in front of Peeta's bakery!! Yes I am a dork, but I don't care!!!! :)

Sunday morning I didn't have to work in the baby classroom at church, so we got to sleep in a little bit. We made some cinnamon buns for breakfast and got everyone ready. Our normal pastor was preaching at another church that morning so we had the "Lifegroup Pastor" preach, and it was really good! They are doing a series called "Re-Creation" and its' about a lot of everyday life struggles, and how to change for the better. They have so far covered Depression and Co-dependency. I love our church for the fact that they preach on so many real-life issues, and use scripture to back it up. I have learned so many things and gotten so much out of being there. It is such a blessing!

After church we went to Walmart (yes, the dreaded Walmart!!! Really!) But I had to get some groceries. While we were in there Rachel had a total tantrum and Arnold had to spank her. It drew some stares, which I knew it would.. But what really bothered me was a lady that was stocking meat. She kept looking over at me every few seconds after that, with a very disapproving look. Like Arnold had done something wrong! I know not everyone agrees with spanking, but we do it, and I don't think it was her place to judge us. We were just trying to get Rachel to listen to us and she had not been behaving at all.. so something had to be done. It was a little embarassing for a minute, but I guess it will be ok. Anyway, since it was already almost 1pm by then, we were getting hungry, so we picked up some big sandwiches out of the deli to take home and eat for lunch.

That afternoon ALL 5 of us fell asleep and took a really long nap (how that happened, I'll never know!) I was supposed to go to a church cookout that afternoon at 4pm, and that didn't happen! I am glad we all got some rest... I know we all needed it! But we woke up late and that pushed everything behind, and we ended up eating dinner pretty late, and then the kids were wide awake at their bedtime. So we let them stay up a little later than usual. Arnold turned on some music on the internet and the kids danced around. At one point I was up in my pajamas dancing around with them (glad there are no pics of that! ha!) Arnold said that during that time we were "having a moment." :) It really was sweet. The kids were laughing, twirling around, dancing, and having a great time. It is moments like that I will miss when they get older, and don't even want to spend time with me anymore. I know some days are hard and stressful and I can't wait for them to be over, but I need to remember not to rush time! I will miss this one day!!!







Here are a few pics from our Girls' Night on Saturday :)




3 of the 4, of the "Fab 4"

Me snuggling with Baby Ben, my friend Joanne's son. I love getting my "baby time!"

Covering my eyes and peeking out during some of the scenes in the movie. Ben is standing there like "What is wrong with that girl?!" Ha!

This is when Squidward came in to protect me.... Notice how hard I am squeezing onto this neck...


And this is the after-math of that squeezing. I broke Squidward. Yep, broke his neck. It was a total accident and I felt so bad because he used to sleep in the bed with Joanne's 7yr old son, Logan. Ahhh, what kind of person am I?! REST IN PEACE Squidward!!!!    :)

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great weekend!! :) Your kids are very cute! It's nice to get a date night - my husband and I always appreciate it, even if it's just a night at home with a movie. :) Btw, I'm totally Team Gale, but no judgment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a great weekend!

    I love date nights like that!

    And that is so awesome that District 12 was shot in your town! I would be like that too :) I'm team Peeta too!

    ReplyDelete