Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Volunteer Experience

Recently Ive been feeling down, and one day it occured to me that maybe I should take into consideration what Ive been thinking about doing for a long time now, just never got around to calling. I have always had it in the back of my mind that id like to volunteer at the Pregnancy Care Center. Ive held back from calling though, because I didnt know how Id do there, or if I could really help, or what it all involved.

Well i decided to call, and talked to a really nice lady there. She seemed really excited that I was willing to volunteer. She set me up an appt to come in that Friday morning (my birthday) to talk and look around and stuff. I sort of just jumped right in when I called her.. didnt really give it a second thought, just made the call. Was just feeling like it was the right thing to do. And im glad I did. Because I get a really good vibe from all of this!!

I went to the appt and met the lady I had talked to, who was really nice in person too! She took me on a tour around the center. They have been blessed with a really nice building! With 2 floors, and a several offices and counseling rooms with nice furniture, and a huge room with donations and other things to help the pregnant women and their babies. She also introduced me to the other ladies who work there, who seemed really nice as well.

Basically this center is for pregnant women (usually young women) who have unexpected pregnancies and arent sure what to do or where to turn. They provide pregnancy tests, 1st trimester ultrasounds, and counseling, to help a girl whether they decide on adoption or parenting the baby. It is all Christian-based and they teach about the Bible and Jesus, and how much precious lives are valued. Thats a big reason why I wanted to come help out, because Ive always felt very strongly about life, and that life begins at CONCEPTION. and of course I love babies!! So i felt led to come there and see where I Could help. Of course I also have the experience of having a very unexpected pregnancy earlier in life and choosing adoption, and then later becoming a parent (still at a young age, but more stable) and parenting. So ive seen lots of things and experienced lots of things, and hope to be able to help other girls going through the same sorts of things.

They also have parenting classes and when you go to a certain amount of them you can earn "bucks" to get a full layette for the baby and lots of other things like baby gear, diapers, etc. And they of course have lots of maternity clothes, baby clothes, and formula that they can help out with, and they get a certain amount of that at a time, too. I saw the donation room and it is FULL but they can always use more things of course, so if ANY of my mommy friends have any things they arent using anymore and would want to donate, consider this place ;)

I was given a lot of paperwork to fill out, and of course I have to have references and background checks and all that.. and I Hope to get all that returned this week sometime. The lady told me that probably they will have me on an as-needed basis as a night time receptionist on certain nights.. and then I will take a training class to learn how to counsel girls as they come in with needs. that is a HUGE responsibility I know. To be honest, Im not sure if Ill be good at that. I really would like to think so.. I like to help people in any way I can. So we will see how that goes. And I will help how I can with their fundraisers, special events, and walk in their baby walk, too.


I am really looking forward to seeing how this all works out! I look forward to working here, with these other wonderful women, and hopefully helping these young ladies with some big life decisions, while giving them some comfort, and telling them about Jesus and his promises. I pray that I will learn my way in all this and do it to the best of my ability!!! :) :) Will update later on as more things happen with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment